Keep in mind that if you are involved in a motor vehicle accident where there is property damage and bodily injuries, you may have to file two different claims. Here are the differences between the two:

Property Damage

These claims cover damages to personal property due to the motor vehicle accident. The cost to repair your car or replace it is covered under a property damage claim, as well as any personal property inside your car that was damaged in the accident. For instance, if you were involved in an accident where you ran off the road and crashed into someone’s mailbox, signs, then the property damage claim covers those items as well as any damages you may have caused to your car.

Bodily Injury Claims

These cover personal injuries to the injured parties involved in a motor vehicle accident. If you are involved in an accident and have sustained any physical or emotional injuries as a direct result of the accident, you may be entitled to file a bodily injury claim. In the state of Georgia, all drivers are required by law to maintain liability insurance of at least $25k per person and $50k per accident. Bodily injury claims can include exacerbation of previous existing injuries. For example, if you have a preexisting neck injury, and are involved in a motor vehicle accident where you are not at fault, you may file a bodily injury claim against the at-fault driver to the extent of the worsening of your neck injury.

If you were involved in a motor vehicle accident and unsure whether to file a property damage or bodily injury claim, make sure you contact an attorney to determine which legal process you need to take. You may also contact our office and we would be happy to discuss your case at no cost.

Call Us

To get started, call our firm, the Law Offices of John Morrison, LLC, and speak to a member of our car accident legal team. You can use our contact form on our website, or call 770-951-8900 and schedule a free case evaluation.