What Wrongful Death Beneficiaries in Georgia Need to Know

You have just lost a spouse, parent, or child in a tragic accident. We know that you are emotionally drained and the last thing on your mind is legal matters. But you may have legal responsibilities to take care of on behalf of the deceased, including filing a wrongful death claim. Attorney John Morrison helps wrongful death beneficiaries in Georgia start the claims process, build the case, and negotiate a settlement or litigate the case in court.

In order to file this type of legal claim, you must first determine that you have a valid claim to pursue, and then determine who will bring that claim against the negligent party. This can be difficult, especially when there is so much emotional turmoil. It is here that working with an attorney can help tremendously, not only with relieving your burdens, but also with obtaining the best possible outcome for you and your family.

Before you start with the wrongful death process review these common questions and answers that surviving family members have about their case

Who can file a wrongful death claim?

When a person dies in an accident, certain surviving family members can file a wrongful death claim on their behalf.

In Georgia, the surviving spouse of the deceased is the first surviving family member who has the right to file a wrongful death claim. If there is no surviving spouse, the children of the deceased are next in line to file the claim. If the deceased has minor children, an adult guardian or representative will take responsibility for the legal proceedings on their behalf.

If the deceased had no children or spouse able to file the claim, his parents are able to bring about legal action. Finally, a personal representative of the deceased may bring the wrongful death action if no surviving family members are present to do so.

Do I have a case of negligence?

Without another party to hold accountable for your loved one’s fatal injuries, there can be no wrongful death claim. Another person or entity such as a business or government department needs to have acted in a negligent (or intentional) manner, which must have caused or contributed to the fatal accident.

Negligence comes in many forms, both as an action and as inaction. For example, a negligent action could be a driver who gets behind the wheel while intoxicated and strikes your loved one’s car head-on. An example of negligent inaction could be at a park where a government employee responsible for grounds keeping fails to repair a known hazard that results in a fatal injury to your
loved one.

John Morrison will help you identify the negligence that led to your loved one’s death, and then start building your case to prove it.

How can I get help?

We understand the last thing you want to worry about is paperwork, legal matters, and insurance companies. The Law Offices of John Morrison, LLC will help you through the difficult times that follow when you lose a loved one in an accident. We will handle the legal matters so you can focus on your own emotional health.

When you are ready to discuss your case, give us a call at 770-951-8900 or fill out our contact form and we will get in touch with you to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation regarding your legal options.